Information on EC 1.8.4.1 - glutathione-homocystine transhydrogenase

for references in articles please use BRENDA:EC1.8.4.1
Please wait a moment until all data is loaded. This message will disappear when all data is loaded.
Specify your search results
Select one or more organisms in this record:

The enzyme appears in viruses and cellular organisms

EC NUMBER
COMMENTARY hide
1.8.4.1
-
RECOMMENDED NAME
GeneOntology No.
glutathione-homocystine transhydrogenase
REACTION
REACTION DIAGRAM
COMMENTARY hide
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
LITERATURE
2 glutathione + homocystine = glutathione disulfide + 2 homocysteine
show the reaction diagram
the reactions catalyzed by this enzyme and by other in this subclass may be similar to those catalyzed by EC 2.5.1.18
-
-
-
REACTION TYPE
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
oxidation
-
-
-
-
redox reaction
-
-
-
-
reduction
-
-
-
-
PATHWAY
BRENDA Link
KEGG Link
MetaCyc Link
Cysteine and methionine metabolism
-
-
Glutathione metabolism
-
-
SYSTEMATIC NAME
IUBMB Comments
glutathione:homocystine oxidoreductase
The reactions catalysed by this enzyme and by others in this subclass may be similar to those catalysed by EC 2.5.1.18 glutathione transferase.
CAS REGISTRY NUMBER
COMMENTARY hide
9029-40-7
-
ORGANISM
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
UNIPROT
SEQUENCE DB
SOURCE
-
-
-
Manually annotated by BRENDA team
SUBSTRATE
PRODUCT                       
REACTION DIAGRAM
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY
(Substrate) hide
LITERATURE
(Substrate)
COMMENTARY
(Product) hide
LITERATURE
(Product)
Reversibility
r=reversible
ir=irreversible
?=not specified
2 glutathione + homocystine
glutathione disulfide + 2 homocysteine
show the reaction diagram
-
-
-
-
?
2 lysine + homocystine
glutathione disulfide + 2 homocysteine
show the reaction diagram
-
-
-
-
?
cysteine + homocystine
cystine + 2 homocysteine
show the reaction diagram
-
-
-
-
?
GSH + homocystine
GSSG + homocysteine
show the reaction diagram
-
-
-
r
NATURAL SUBSTRATES
NATURAL PRODUCTS
REACTION DIAGRAM
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY
(Substrate) hide
LITERATURE
(Substrate)
COMMENTARY
(Product) hide
LITERATURE
(Product)
REVERSIBILITY
r=reversible
ir=irreversible
?=not specified
GSH + homocystine
GSSG + homocysteine
show the reaction diagram
-
-
-
r
KM VALUE [mM]
SUBSTRATE
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
IMAGE
15.1
cysteine
-
pH 5.2, 40°C
14.3
glutathione
-
pH 5.2, 40°C
TURNOVER NUMBER [1/s]
SUBSTRATE
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
IMAGE
0.056
cysteine
-
pH 5.2, 40°C
0.078
glutathione
-
pH 5.2, 40°C
SPECIFIC ACTIVITY [µmol/min/mg]
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
289.9
-
pH 5.2, 40°C
pH OPTIMUM
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
TEMPERATURE OPTIMUM
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
37
-
assay at
SOURCE TISSUE
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
SOURCE
-
-
Manually annotated by BRENDA team
MOLECULAR WEIGHT
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
79000 - 80000
-
gel filtration
SUBUNITS
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
dimer
-
2 * 35000, SDS-PAGE
pH STABILITY
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
6 - 8
-
-
743409
Purification/COMMENTARY
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
LITERATURE
APPLICATION
ORGANISM
UNIPROT
COMMENTARY hide
LITERATURE
synthesis
-
maximum activity is obtained by nutritional optimization using GSH (0.4%) combined with homocystine (0.01%) and glucose (0.4%), NADH (30 mM) at medium initial pH 7.8. The yield of GHTHase is increased about 1.2 times upon starvation of the culture for two days, as compared to the non-sulfur starved culture. The GHTHase activity is increased by 13.7fold